Friday, February 9, 2007

Mocha-choca-latte-yaya

I want you to think about something for a second... when was the last time you bought something that you didn't need?

for me, it was an IBC cherry soda from work. I justified it on the fact that I get 50% off and so since it's a deal, I might as well.
Maybe for you it was that latte from Starbucks, or the Daily Grind if you know what's best for ya! And that's probably not the first time youve splurged on one this month, if not this week! (I know I am guilty!)

Today I got to see a website that basically blew all justifications out of the window. (credit to Tatum Downs for giving me the link). The website was for a group called the Mocha Club. And basically it shows how far just 2 Mochas ($7) can go in a place like Africa.

WHAT CAN $7 DO IN AFRICA?
In the U.S., $7 = 2 mochas

In Kibera, Kenya, $7 =
3 meals in a day for 9 orphans

In Bulawayo, Zimbabwe, $7 =
1 school term for 2 children

In all of Africa, $7 =
clean water for 7 Africans for 1 year!!!!!

After looking at these statistics I was immediately overwhelmed with emotion, and like Annie, I'm a crier. So I sat there and thought... if I only gave up something I don't even need 2 times every month, I could be changing a child in Africa's life. I could be giving hope where there is none... Alot of times, that's where it stops. Just thinking. No doing. I was challenged today, to follow my heart of living simple,
“Live simply so that others may simply live.”

I know this may sound like another one of those commercials with that old guy asking you to donate money, but this is just my heart, overflowing with love and passion for these people. If I only affect one, it will be worth it.


Here's the website www.mochaclub.org
just check it out, it may have the same affect on your heart as it did mine.

3 comments:

AnnieBlogs said...

You know who is a big supporter of the Mocha Club? Dave Barnes. I love him. You know who is a big supporter of Mallory Watson? Annie Downs. She loves you.

Alex Russ said...

does that picture not STEAL YOUR HEART?!
my favorite part, after how informative this blog is, is that you named it after that french song, well done sister

Ryan Kennedy said...

one of the better blosts in history, speak life on those kids mal.